Baheda, also known as Bibhitaki or Terminalia bellirica, is a tree native to India and other parts of Southeast Asia. It is a well-known herb in Ayurvedic medicine and is commonly used for its various health benefits.
निली तूतीका विबद्धा बाहुदा तु बिभीतकी।
वातहा स्वासकृच्छ्रान्ति त्रिदोषजित् बहेदनामा॥
Nilī tūtīkā vibaddhā bāhudā tu bibhītakī |
Vātahā svāsakṛcchānti tridoṣajit bahedanāmā ||
“The herb Baheda, which is also known as Vibhitaki, helps to clear the respiratory tract and ease breathing. It is also helpful for pacifying the vata dosha, one of the three doshas in Ayurvedic medicine.”
Baheda, Bedda Nuts also known as Terminalia bellirica, is a tree commonly found in Southeast Asia, including India. In Ayurvedic medicine, baheda is highly valued for its medicinal properties and is used in a wide variety of treatments.
Some of the potential benefits of baheda in Ayurvedic medicine include:
- Digestive health: Baheda is traditionally used to improve digestion and alleviate gastrointestinal issues such as constipation, diarrhea, and dysentery. It is believed to have a mild laxative effect and can help to cleanse the digestive tract.
- Respiratory health: Baheda is commonly used to treat respiratory conditions such as coughs, bronchitis, and asthma. It is believed to help loosen phlegm and reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract.
- Immune system support: Baheda is believed to have immune-boosting properties and is sometimes used to treat infections, fevers, and other illnesses.
- Skin health: Baheda is believed to have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties, and is sometimes used in Ayurvedic skin care preparations to help treat conditions such as acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
- Hair health: Baheda is sometimes used in Ayurvedic hair care preparations to help strengthen and nourish hair, and to reduce hair loss.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Baheda contains compounds that are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties. As a result, it is sometimes used to alleviate pain and inflammation in conditions such as arthritis and gout.
- Antioxidant properties: Baheda is a rich source of antioxidants, which can help to protect the body from the damaging effects of free radicals. Antioxidants can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes.
- Eye health: Baheda is sometimes used in Ayurvedic medicine to support eye health and to treat conditions such as cataracts, glaucoma, and conjunctivitis.
- Anti-cancer properties: Some studies have suggested that baheda may have anti-cancer properties. For example, one study found that a compound in baheda called gallic acid was able to induce apoptosis (cell death) in cancer cells.
- Brain health: Baheda is sometimes used in Ayurvedic medicine to support brain function and to treat conditions such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It is believed to have neuroprotective properties that can help to protect the brain from damage and degeneration.
Baheda vernacular names in different languages.
- Hindi: Baheda, बहेड़ा
- Sanskrit: Vibhitaki, विभीतकी
- Tamil: Kadukkai, கடுக்காய்
- Telugu: Karakkaya, కరక్కాయ
- Kannada: Tarekai, ತರೆಕಾಯಿ
- Malayalam: Katukka, കടുക്ക
- Bengali: Bahera, বহেড়া
- Gujarati: Baheda, બહેડા
- Marathi: Baheda, बहेडा
- Punjabi: Baheda, ਬਹੇਡਾ
- Urdu: Baleel, بھیڑا
- Nepali: Baheda, बहेड़ा
- Assamese: Bhomora, ভোমৰা
- Oriya: Bhira, ଭୀର
- Konkani: Bibla, बिब्ला
- Manipuri: Thongbra, থোংবরা
- Sindhi: Behra, بهيڙا
- Haryanvi: Bahera, बहेड़ा
- Rajasthani: Bhilawa, भिलावा
- Bhojpuri: Baheda, बहेड़ा
General dosage guidelines for Baheda in Ayurveda:
|Form||Dosage||Method of Consumption|
|Powder||1-3 grams, taken once or twice daily||Mix with water, honey, ghee, or milk|
|Capsule||1-2 capsules, taken once or twice daily||Take with water or as directed on label|
|Decoction||50-100 ml, taken once or twice daily||Mix with water or take as directed|
|Tincture||30-60 drops, taken two to three times per day||Mix with water or take as directed|
Nutritional value of Baheda per 100 grams:
|Nutrient||Amount per 100 grams||Daily Requirement|
|Carbohydrates||68.0 g||130 g|
|Fiber||41.0 g||25 g|
|Protein||10.0 g||56 g|
|Fat||1.0 g||44-77 g|
|Vitamin C||31.2 mg||90 mg|
|Calcium||640 mg||1000-1300 mg|
|Iron||2.8 mg||8-18 mg|
|Potassium||930 mg||2000-3000 mg|
|Sodium||20.0 mg||1500-2300 mg|
for more details you may watch Video :
It is important to note that while baheda has a long history of use in Ayurvedic medicine, more research is needed to fully understand its potential health benefits and to determine its safety and efficacy. As with any herbal remedy, it is important to consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using baheda or any other natural remedy for medicinal purposes.
Disclaimer: Please note that it is important to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herb for therapeutic purposes, as the benefits may vary depending on the individual’s health status and dosha imbalance.
Minimum order value Rs.100 only.
All shown prices are inclusive of GST.
Free shipping on orders above Rs.1000.
Flat Rs. 99 Shipping Charges on orders below Rs.500 and Rs 49 order between Rs.501-999.
Actual product images used, product and image color may slightly differ.
Secure Payment by Razorpay and Paytm. Learn more about secure payments.
7 Day Returns is applicable in case the item is damaged, defective or different from description. Check our Return Policy