In Ayurveda, the traditional Indian system of medicine, Iris germanica Linn (bearded iris) is known by the name “susruta” and is used for various medicinal purposes.
अभीष्टपूर्तिरसदभयं फुल्लेन्दिवरं त्विषा नयनदोषहारिणा।
अधिष्ठितं मे हृदयेऽरुणचलं स्मरेयं शान्तं हृदयं तमसः परस्तात्॥
Abhīṣṭapūrtirasadabhayaṃ phullendivaraṃ tviṣā nayanadoṣahāriṇā |
Adhiṣṭhitaṃ me hṛdaye’ruṇacalaṃ smareyaṃ śāntaṃ hṛdayaṃ tamasaḥ parastāt ||
“May the Florentine Iris, which removes defects of the eyes, bring fulfillment and fearlessness to me. I remember the stable and peaceful heart in my heart, which is beyond darkness.”
This verse refers to the Florentine Iris as a flower that can help remove defects of the eyes. The speaker asks for the flower to bring fulfillment and fearlessness, and reflects on the idea of a stable and peaceful heart that is beyond darkness.
Potential benefits of this plant in Ayurveda include:
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Bearded iris has been used in Ayurveda as a natural anti-inflammatory agent. It is believed to help reduce inflammation in the body and relieve pain.
- Digestive health: In Ayurveda, bearded iris is used to support digestive health. It is believed to stimulate digestive fire (agni) and improve digestion.
- Skin health: The plant is also used in Ayurvedic skin care to improve skin texture and complexion. It is believed to have a cooling effect on the skin and help soothe various skin ailments.
- Respiratory health: Bearded iris is used in Ayurveda to support respiratory health. It is believed to help clear mucus and phlegm from the respiratory tract and relieve respiratory congestion.
- Wound healing: The plant has also been traditionally used in Ayurveda to help heal wounds and injuries. It is believed to have antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help prevent infection and promote healing.
- Anti-aging properties: Bearded iris is believed to have anti-aging properties in Ayurveda. It is believed to help improve skin elasticity, reduce wrinkles, and prevent premature aging.
- Hormonal balance: In Ayurveda, bearded iris is used to help balance hormones in the body. It is believed to have a regulatory effect on the endocrine system and may help with various hormonal imbalances.
- Liver support: Bearded iris is used in Ayurveda to support liver health. It is believed to have a detoxifying effect on the liver and help promote healthy liver function.
- Immune support: The plant is also used in Ayurveda to support the immune system. It is believed to have immunomodulatory properties that help strengthen the body’s natural defenses.
- Nervous system support: Bearded iris is used in Ayurveda to support the nervous system. It is believed to have a calming effect on the mind and may help reduce anxiety and stress.
It is important to note that while bearded iris has been used in Ayurveda for centuries, scientific evidence for these benefits is limited and further research is needed to fully understand the plant’s potential uses and effects. As with any herbal remedy, it is important to consult with a qualified healthcare practitioner before using bearded iris for medicinal purposes.
Vernacular names Bekh Sosan
- Arabic Name : Irasaa, Iras, Eersaa, Sawsan
English Name : Florentine Iris, Orris Root, Flag Iris
French Name : Fleur-de-lis
German Name : Deutsche Schwertlilie, Blaue Lilie
Hindi Name : Sosan
Kashmiri Name : Mazar Mound
Latin name : Iris germanica Linn.
Persian Name : Bekhe Sosan
Punjabi Name : Irsa
Sanskrit Name : Pushkarmula, Shveta Vachaa, Baal bach
Urdu Name : Irsa
- French: Iris de Florence or Racine d’iris
- Spanish: Raíz de lirio
- Italian: Radice di iris or Iris fiorentino
- German: Florentiner Schwertlilie or Iriswurzel
- Portuguese: Raiz de lírio or Íris florentina
- Dutch: Florentijnse Iris or Orriswortel
- Russian: Флорентийский Ирис or Оррис корень
|Nutrient||Amount per 100 grams||Daily Requirement|
|Carbohydrates||81.0 g||130 g|
|Fiber||0.0 g||25 g|
|Protein||3.3 g||56 g|
|Fat||0.5 g||44-77 g|
|Vitamin C||3.0 mg||90 mg|
|Calcium||500 mg||1000-1300 mg|
|Iron||5.2 mg||8-18 mg|
|Potassium||800 mg||2000-3000 mg|
|Sodium||8 mg||1500-2300 mg|
Disclaimer: Please note that it is important to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herb for therapeutic purposes, as the benefits may vary depending on the individual’s health status and dosha imbalance.
Minimum order value Rs.100 only.
All shown prices are inclusive of GST.
Free shipping on orders above Rs.1000.
Flat Rs. 99 Shipping Charges on orders below Rs.500 and Rs 49 order between Rs.501-999.
Actual product images used, product and image color may slightly differ.
Secure Payment by Razorpay and Paytm. Learn more about secure payments.
7 Day Returns is applicable in case the item is damaged, defective or different from description. Check our Return Policy