In Ayurveda, musk root (also known as “Muskroot” or “Jatamansi“) is considered to be a valuable herb due to its various health benefits.
“जटामंसी खल्वग्रेयः सर्वैर्वेदैः संस्तुतः।
तनुत्सन्धाने सर्वस्मा द्विजतयमुद्यते॥”
“Jatamamsi khalvagreyah sarvairvedaih samstutah
Tanutsandhane sarvasma dvijatayam samudyate”
This is from the Charaka Samhita, one of the foundational texts of Ayurveda. It translates to:
“Jatamansi is the foremost among all medicinal herbs and is praised in all the Vedas. It is helpful in the healing of all diseases and is considered sacred by the Brahmins.”
Common vernacular names for Jatamasi:
- Hindi: Jatamasi, जटामांसी
- Sanskrit: Jatamansi, जटामंसी
- Nepali: Nardhingaru, नारदिंगरु
- Bengali: Jatamasi, জটামাসি
- Tamil: Jatamasi, ஜடாமாசி
- Telugu: Jatamamsi, జటామాంసి
- Kannada: Jatamamsi, ಜಟಾಮಾಂಸಿ
- Malayalam: Jatamashi, ജടാമാശി
- Marathi: Jatamansi, जटामांसी
- Gujarati: Jatamasi, જટામાસી
- Punjabi: Bhuikohla, ਭੂਈਕੋਹਲਾ
- Urdu: Balchar, بالچھر
- Arabic: Sumbul al-ward, سمبل الورد
- Persian: Balchhar, بلچهر
- Tibetan: Sha-dkar, ཤ་དཀར
- Bhutanese: Zatamashi, ཟ་ཏ་མ་ཤི།
- Assamese: Jatamasi, জটামাচি
- Oriya: Jatamansi, ଜଟାମାଂସି
- Konkani: Jatamashi, जटामाशी
- Manipuri: Leirong, লেইরং
Some of the benefits of musk root include:
- Relieving anxiety and stress: Muskroot has been traditionally used as a natural remedy for anxiety and stress due to its calming and sedative properties. It is believed to help reduce nervous tension and promote relaxation.
- Boosting digestion: Muskroot is believed to have digestive stimulant properties, which can help to improve digestion and relieve digestive issues such as bloating and gas.
- Regulating menstrual cycle: Muskroot is believed to have emmenagogue properties, which can help to regulate menstrual cycle and relieve menstrual cramps.
- Relieving pain and inflammation: Muskroot is believed to have analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to relieve pain and inflammation in the body.
- Improving respiratory function: Muskroot is believed to have respiratory stimulant properties, which can help to improve respiratory function and relieve respiratory issues such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Boosting libido: Muskroot is believed to have aphrodisiac properties, which can help to boost libido and improve sexual performance.
- Supporting skin health: Muskroot is believed to have antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to soothe and protect the skin from infections, acne, and other skin issues.
- Promotes mental clarity and calmness: Musk root is believed to help calm the mind, reduce anxiety and promote mental clarity.
- Supports healthy sleep: It is believed to have a sedative effect and help improve sleep quality.
- Healthy skin: Musk root is used in various Ayurvedic skin care products due to its ability to promote healthy skin.
- Supports healthy digestion: It is believed to help regulate the digestive system and promote healthy digestion.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Musk root has been found to have anti-inflammatory properties and may help reduce inflammation in the body.
- Healthy hair: It is commonly used in Ayurvedic hair care products due to its ability to promote healthy hair growth and prevent hair loss.
- Nervous system: Musk root is believed to have a positive effect on the nervous system and may help support nerve function.
- Antioxidant properties: Some studies have found that musk root may have antioxidant properties, which can help protect the body against damage from free radicals.
- Respiratory health: It is believed to help support respiratory health and may be beneficial for conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Cardiovascular health: Musk root is believed to have a positive effect on the cardiovascular system and may help support heart health.
- Anti-tumor effects: Some studies have found that musk root may have anti-tumor properties and may help prevent the growth of cancer cells.
General dosage guidelines for Jatamansi in Ayurveda:
|Form of Jatamansi||Dosage||Frequency||Mixing Suggestions|
|Powder||500-1000 mg||Twice daily||Mix with honey or ghee and take after meals|
|Capsule||500-1000 mg||Twice daily||Take with water after meals|
|Tincture||1-2 mL||Twice daily||Mix with water or juice and take before meals|
|Essential Oil||1-2 drops||As needed||Mix with carrier oil and apply topically or use in aromatherapy diffuser|
Jatamansi, also known as Nardostachys jatamansi, nutritional content:
|Nutrient||Amount per 100 grams||Daily Requirement|
|Carbohydrates||75.8 g||130 g|
|Fiber||6.0 g||25 g|
|Protein||6.8 g||56 g|
|Fat||1.1 g||44-77 g|
|Vitamin C||8.0 mg||90 mg|
|Calcium||609 mg||1000-1300 mg|
|Iron||4.4 mg||8-18 mg|
|Potassium||994 mg||2000-3000 mg|
|Sodium||43 mg||1500-2300 mg|
It’s important to note that while these potential benefits are intriguing, more research is needed to fully understand the effects of musk root on the body. Additionally, it’s always important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any new supplement or herbal remedy.
Disclaimer: Please note that it is important to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herb for therapeutic purposes, as the benefits may vary depending on the individual’s health status and dosha imbalance.
Minimum order value Rs.100 only.
All shown prices are inclusive of GST.
Free shipping on orders above Rs.1000.
Flat Rs. 99 Shipping Charges on orders below Rs.500 and Rs 49 order between Rs.501-999.
Actual product images used, product and image color may slightly differ.
Secure Payment by Razorpay and Paytm. Learn more about secure payments.
7 Day Returns is applicable in case the item is damaged, defective or different from description. Check our Return Policy