करञ्जपुष्पवन्तं वर्णयन्ति ये जनाः।
तेषां दुःखानि सर्वाणि सन्त्यजन्ति महाफलम्॥
Karaṇjapuṣpavantam varṇayanti ye janāḥ,
tesāṁ duḥkhāni sarvāṇi santyajanti mahāphalam.
“Those who describe the Karanj tree with its blossoming flowers will attain great fruit, leaving behind all suffering.”
This verse highlights the beauty and importance of the karanj tree, which is known for its medicinal properties and environmental benefits. It suggests that those who appreciate and describe the virtues of the karanj tree will be rewarded with great fruit, leaving behind all suffering.
Indian Beech, also known as Pongamia pinnata, vernacular names for Indian Beech in different languages:
- Hindi: Karanj, करंज
- Tamil: Pungai, புங்கை
- Telugu: Kanuga, కనుగ
- Kannada: Honge, ಹೊಂಗೆ
- Malayalam: Pungu, പുങ്കു
- Bengali: Karanja, করঞ্জ
- Gujarati: Karanj, કરંજ
- Marathi: Karanja, करंज
- Punjabi: Kanera, ਕਨੇਰਾ
- Odia: Naktamala, ନକ୍ତମାଳ
- Nepali: Karanjwa, करंज्वा
- Sinhalese: Nuga, නුග
- Thai: Ton sai thong, ต้นสายทอง
- Vietnamese: Xoan lỗ, Sâu đậu, or Điều mộc
- Indonesian: Ketapang, or kapoeng, or kopoeng
- Tagalog: Bitangkol, or Pongamia
- Burmese: Pyinma, ပြင်မာ
- Lao: Champha, ຈຳພາ
- Cambodian: Krajib pagoda, ក្រចិបបុណ្យា
- Chinese: 龙脑香 (lóng nǎo xiāng) or 木蘭豆 (mù lán dòu)
Ayurvedic benefits of Karanj are:
- Wound healing: Karanj oil is traditionally used in Ayurveda for its wound-healing properties. It is believed to promote tissue regeneration and reduce inflammation, which helps in the healing process.
- Skin care: Karanj oil is also used in Ayurveda for its skin care benefits. It is believed to help treat various skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and acne due to its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- Pain relief: Karanj oil is also traditionally used in Ayurveda to relieve pain. It is believed to have analgesic properties that can help reduce pain and inflammation.
- Anti-parasitic: Karanj oil is also known to have anti-parasitic properties and is used in Ayurveda to treat parasitic infections like scabies and lice.
- Antifungal: Karanj oil is also used in Ayurveda for its antifungal properties. It is believed to be effective against various fungal infections like ringworm and athlete’s foot.
- Anti-inflammatory: Karanj is also believed to have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation and pain associated with various conditions.
- Antioxidant: Karanj is also believed to have antioxidant properties that can help protect the body from oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals.
- Hair care: Karanj oil is also used in Ayurveda for its hair care benefits. It is believed to help strengthen hair and prevent hair loss due to its nourishing properties.
- Digestive health: Karanj is also believed to have digestive benefits in Ayurveda. It is believed to help improve digestion, relieve constipation, and promote bowel movements.
- Immune system: Karanj is also believed to have immune-boosting properties in Ayurveda. It is believed to help strengthen the immune system and protect the body from infections and diseases.
- Respiratory health: Karanj is also used in Ayurveda to treat respiratory problems like asthma, bronchitis, and cough due to its expectorant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Anti-cancer: Some preliminary studies suggest that Karanj may have anti-cancer properties and may help prevent the growth of cancer cells.
- Anti-diabetic: Karanj is also believed to have anti-diabetic properties and may help regulate blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
- Anti-arthritic: Karanj is also traditionally used in Ayurveda to treat arthritis and joint pain due to its anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
It is important to note that more research is needed to fully understand the potential benefits of Karanj and its effectiveness in treating various conditions. Also, as with any herbal remedy, it is important to use Karanj under the guidance of a qualified practitioner to avoid any potential side effects or interactions with medications.
The trees of Indian beech are found in forests. Shadow of its tree is cool and dark. Its pods are long which have long and thick seeds. Its seeds contain bitter and thick oil. This oil contains 27 percent Pongemia oil which is used as fuel (burning). Grind the seeds of Indian beech with lemon juice and apply it on the ringworms. Its use provides relief. Eat the sauce of Indian beech’s seeds to get rid of diabetes.
Pods of Indian beech: Pods of Indian beech are hot in nature and greasy. Its pods are used in the treatment of head problems, leprosy, piles and spermathorrhoea. These bring the phlegm out and destroy worms. Its pods are also useful to eliminate gas trouble. Ripe pods of Indian beech are pungent, hot in nature, bitter and vapid.
Indian beech oil: Oil of Indian beech is bitter, greasy and hot in nature. It checks vattadisorders and destroys worms. It is also useful to cure eye diseases and healing the wounds up caused by boils. It is used in the treatment of scabies, leprosy, wounds, itching, colic pain, piles and Vulva diseases. It also eliminates gas trouble.
Karanj Nutritional Value:
|Nutrient||Amount per 100 grams||Daily Requirement|
|Carbohydrates||22.5 g||130 g|
|Fiber||1.6 g||25 g|
|Protein||20.0 g||56 g|
|Fat||54.0 g||44-77 g|
|Vitamin C||0.0 mg||90 mg|
|Calcium||30.0 mg||1000-1300 mg|
|Iron||5.5 mg||8-18 mg|
|Potassium||1840 mg||2000-3000 mg|
|Sodium||14.0 mg||1500-2300 mg|
General dosage guidelines for karanj:
|Form of Karanj||Dosage||Mixing Suggestions|
|Powder||1-3 grams, taken once or twice daily||Can be mixed with water, honey, or warm milk|
|Decoction||50-100 ml, taken once or twice daily||Boil 1-2 teaspoons of Karanj powder in water, strain, and drink|
|Capsules||1-2 capsules, taken once or twice daily||Follow the instructions on the label carefully|
|Oil||For topical use only||Can be applied directly to the affected area or mixed with a carrier oil|
To know more about this , Please watch the Video !!
Courtesy : AyurvedShala
Disclaimer: Please note that it is important to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herb for therapeutic purposes, as the benefits may vary depending on the individual’s health status and dosha imbalance.
Minimum order value Rs.100 only.
All shown prices are inclusive of GST.
Free shipping on orders above Rs.1000.
Flat Rs. 99 Shipping Charges on orders below Rs.500 and Rs 49 order between Rs.501-999.
Actual product images used, product and image color may slightly differ.
Secure Payment by Razorpay and Paytm. Learn more about secure payments.
7 Day Returns is applicable in case the item is damaged, defective or different from description. Check our Return Policy