Reetha is the Hindi name for the soapnut tree, which is a species of deciduous tree native to India. The fruit of the soapnut tree, known as soapnuts or soapberries, contain saponins, which are natural surfactants that have cleansing properties.
विल्वादि सप्तपर्णेषु मुखकैश्च तथैव च ।
अरिष्टक इति ख्यातो रिष्टं सोपानशोभितम् ॥
Vilvādi saptaparṇeṣu mukhakaiśca tathaiva ca |
Ariṣṭaka iti khyāto riṣṭaṃ sopānaśobhitam ||
“Reetha, also known as “Arishtak” and “Soapnut“, is adorned with sopana (stairs) and is found among the seven-leafed trees like Bilva.”
This verse describes the Reetha tree and its unique appearance among the seven-leafed trees like the Bilva tree. Reetha is a popular ingredient in Ayurvedic medicine and is used in hair and skin care products due to its natural cleansing and conditioning properties.
Reetha vernacular names in different Indian languages:
- Hindi: Reetha, रीठा
- Gujarati: Arithi, અરીઠી
- Marathi: Ritha, रिठा
- Tamil: Pannankottai, பன்னங்கொட்டை
- Telugu: Kunkuduchettu, కుంకుడు చెట్టు
- Kannada: Antuvala kayi, ಅಂತುವಾಳ ಕಾಯಿ
- Malayalam: Uzhinja, ഉഴിഞ്ഞ
- Bengali: Ritha or Reetha, রিঠা or রীঠা
- Punjabi: Reetha, ਰੀਠਾ
- Nepali: Ritha, रिठ्ठा
- Oriya: Arishtak, ଅରିଷ୍ଟକ
- Urdu: Reetha, ریٹھا
- Sindhi: Ritho, ريٿو
- Assamese: Risut, ৰিচুট
- Manipuri: Kshumang, ক্ষুমং
- Konkani: Sopondi, सोपोंडी
- Bhojpuri: Reetha, रीठा
- Maithili: Ritha, रिठा
- Chhattisgarhi: Reetha, रीठा
Potential Ayurvedic benefits of Reetha:
- Cleansing: Reetha contains saponins, which are natural surfactants that can effectively cleanse the skin and hair. It is commonly used in Ayurvedic formulations for its ability to remove dirt, oil, and grime from the body.
- Anti-inflammatory: Reetha has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation and swelling in the body. This makes it a useful herb in treating conditions such as arthritis and other inflammatory disorders.
- Anti-bacterial: Reetha has been shown to have antibacterial properties, which can help to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the body. It is commonly used in Ayurvedic remedies for treating skin infections and other bacterial infections.
- Hair care: Reetha is a popular ingredient in Ayurvedic hair care products due to its ability to cleanse the hair and scalp without stripping it of its natural oils. It is also believed to strengthen the hair and promote healthy hair growth.
- Skin care: Reetha is believed to have a number of benefits for the skin, including reducing inflammation, preventing acne, and improving skin tone and texture.
- Digestive health: Reetha is also used in Ayurveda to promote digestive health. It is believed to help regulate digestion, reduce constipation, and improve overall gut health.
- Respiratory health: Reetha has expectorant properties that can help to loosen mucus and phlegm in the respiratory system, making it easier to breathe. It is commonly used in Ayurvedic remedies for treating respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Anti-dandruff: Reetha is believed to have anti-fungal properties that can help to prevent the growth of the fungus that causes dandruff. It is commonly used in Ayurvedic hair care products to help alleviate dandruff and promote a healthy scalp.
- Immune system support: Reetha is rich in antioxidants, which can help to boost the immune system and protect the body against harmful free radicals. It is also believed to have anti-viral properties, which can help to prevent viral infections.
- Oral health: Reetha is used in Ayurvedic toothpastes and mouthwashes for its ability to cleanse the teeth and gums, reduce inflammation, and prevent cavities and gum disease.
- Anti-aging: Reetha is believed to have anti-aging properties that can help to reduce the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and other signs of aging. It is also used in Ayurvedic beauty products to promote a youthful, glowing complexion.
- Nutritive: Reetha is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, iron, and calcium. These nutrients can help to support overall health and well-being.
- Stress relief: Reetha is believed to have a calming effect on the mind and body, making it a useful herb for reducing stress and anxiety. It is often used in Ayurvedic formulations for its ability to promote relaxation and mental clarity.
Overall, Reetha is a versatile herb that has a wide range of potential Ayurvedic benefits. However, it is important to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before using Reetha or any other herbal remedies to ensure that it is safe and appropriate for your individual needs.
Nutritional value of Reetha per 100 grams:
|Nutrient||Amount per 100 grams||Daily Requirement|
|Carbohydrates||64.3 g||130 g|
|Fiber||17.9 g||25 g|
|Protein||2.3 g||56 g|
|Fat||1.4 g||44-77 g|
|Vitamin A||0.0 IU||700-900 IU|
|Vitamin C||0.0 mg||90 mg|
|Calcium||81.5 mg||1000-1300 mg|
|Iron||2.0 mg||8-18 mg|
|Potassium||356 mg||2000-3000 mg|
|Sodium||13.6 mg||1500-2300 mg|
General dosage guidelines and mixing recommendations for Reetha in a table format:
|Dosage form||Dosage||Frequency||Mixing recommendations|
|Powder||1-2 teaspoons||Once daily||Mix with water to create a paste and apply to hair or skin|
|Decoction||1 cup||Once daily||Boil 5-6 soapnuts in water for 10-15 minutes, strain and drink|
|Capsule||500-1000mg||Once or twice daily||as directed on the label|
|Oil||As needed||As needed||Mix with other oils, such as coconut or almond oil, for use on hair or skin|
Disclaimer: Please note that it is important to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herb for therapeutic purposes, as the benefits may vary depending on the individual’s health status and dosha imbalance.
Minimum order value Rs.100 only.
All shown prices are inclusive of GST.
Free shipping on orders above Rs.1000.
Flat Rs. 99 Shipping Charges on orders below Rs.500 and Rs 49 order between Rs.501-999.
Actual product images used, product and image color may slightly differ.
Secure Payment by Razorpay and Paytm. Learn more about secure payments.
7 Day Returns is applicable in case the item is damaged, defective or different from description. Check our Return Policy
For More Details About Reetha Watch below Video