Shankhpushpi – शंखपुष्पी – Morning Glory – Convolvulus pluricaulis
Shankhpushpi, also known as Convolvulus pluricaulis, is a herb commonly used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine. The plant is native to India and has been used for centuries to promote mental health, enhance memory, and improve overall cognitive function.
vernacular names for Shankhpushpi:
- Hindi: Shankhpushpi, Shankhahuli
- Sanskrit: Shankhapushpi
- Bengali: Aparajita
- Gujarati: Shankhavali
- Kannada: Shankhahuli
- Malayalam: Shankhapushpam
- Marathi: Shankhapushpi
- Punjabi: Shankhapushpi
- Tamil: Shankhapushpi
- Telugu: Shankhapushpi
Here are some potential health benefits of Shankhpushpi:
- Mental Health: Shankhpushpi is believed to have a calming effect on the mind and is commonly used to alleviate anxiety, depression, and stress.
- Memory and Cognitive Function: Shankhpushpi is traditionally used to enhance memory and improve overall cognitive function.
- Sleep: Shankhpushpi is believed to have sedative properties and may help to promote better sleep.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Shankhpushpi contains anti-inflammatory compounds that may help to reduce inflammation throughout the body.
- Anti-diabetic Properties: Some studies have shown that Shankhpushpi may help to regulate blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Anti-convulsant Properties: Shankhpushpi has been found to have anti-convulsant properties and may be beneficial for individuals with epilepsy or other seizure disorders.
- Adaptogenic Properties: Shankhpushpi is classified as an adaptogenic herb, meaning that it may help the body to adapt to stressors and promote overall resilience.
- Antioxidant Properties: Shankhpushpi contains antioxidants that may help to protect cells from oxidative damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Digestive Health: Shankhpushpi has been traditionally used to improve digestion and alleviate digestive issues such as constipation and indigestion.
- Cardiovascular Health: Some studies have shown that Shankhpushpi may have cardioprotective properties and may help to improve heart health.
- Respiratory Health: Shankhpushpi has been traditionally used to alleviate respiratory issues such as coughs and bronchitis.
- Wound Healing: Shankhpushpi has been found to have wound-healing properties and may help to speed up the healing process of skin wounds.
Shankhpushpi is typically consumed in the form of a powder, capsule, or liquid extract. As with any herbal supplement or medication, it’s important to consult with a healthcare professional before use, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are taking medications.