Shatavari, also known as Asparagus racemosus, is a plant that is commonly used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine. It is a species of asparagus that is native to India, Sri Lanka, and the Himalayas.
शतावरी परं श्रेयो नात्र कार्या विचारणा।
Śatāvarī paraṃ śreyo nātra kāryā vicāraṇā |
Vātapittāśleṣmaharo vṛṣyoṣṇāstam̐bhanāśanaḥ ||
Translation: “There is no need to contemplate the greatness of Shatavari, as it is the best herb for women’s health. It is effective in balancing Vata, Pitta and Kapha doshas, and is known for its ability to increase fertility, enhance libido, and relieve hot flashes and other symptoms of menopause.”
Common vernacular names for Shatavari:
- Hindi: Shatavari, शतावरी
- Sanskrit: Shatavari, शतावरी
- Tamil: Kilavari, கிழவரி
- Telugu: Pilligadalu, పిల్లిగాడలు
- Kannada: Shatamuli, ಶತಮೂಲಿ
- Malayalam: Shatavari, ശതാവരി
- Bengali: Shatamuli, শতমূলি
- Gujarati: Satavari, સતાવરી
- Marathi: Shatavari, शतावरी
- Punjabi: Shatavari, ਸ਼ਤਾਵਰੀ
Shatavari has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to treat a variety of conditions. It is believed to have anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety, and anti-cancer properties. Shatavari is also commonly used as a natural remedy to help regulate hormones and improve reproductive health, particularly for women.
Beenefits of Shatawar:
- Female Reproductive Health: Shatavari is known for its traditional use as a female reproductive tonic, particularly for supporting lactation in nursing mothers and promoting fertility in women.
- Digestive Health: Shatavari is believed to support healthy digestion by reducing inflammation in the digestive tract, promoting the growth of beneficial gut bacteria, and reducing symptoms of digestive disorders like ulcers, heartburn, and constipation.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Shatavari contains phytochemicals that have anti-inflammatory properties, making it useful for reducing inflammation and swelling in various parts of the body.
- Immune System Support: Shatavari is rich in antioxidants, which help to protect the body against oxidative stress and support a healthy immune system.
- Stress and Anxiety Relief: Shatavari is considered an adaptogenic herb, which means it can help the body adapt to stress and reduce feelings of anxiety and depression.
- Anti-Cancer Properties: Shatavari contains compounds that may have anti-cancer properties, including the ability to inhibit the growth of cancer cells and induce cell death in certain types of cancer.
- Anti-Aging Effects: Shatavari is rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect the body against the damaging effects of free radicals and slow down the aging process.
- Cardiovascular Health: Shatavari may have beneficial effects on cardiovascular health, including reducing blood pressure, improving cholesterol levels, and reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Anti-Microbial Properties: Shatavari contains compounds that may have anti-microbial properties, making it useful for fighting off infections caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
- Skin Health: Shatavari is believed to have beneficial effects on skin health, including reducing inflammation, improving hydration, and promoting collagen synthesis.
General dosage guidelines for shatavari in Ayurveda:
|Dosage Form||Dosage||Frequency||Mixing Suggestions|
|Shatavari root powder||1-2 grams||1-2 times per day||Mix with warm water or milk. Add sweeteners or spices like honey, cardamom, or cinnamon for taste.|
|Shatavari capsules||500-1000 mg||1-2 times per day||Take with water or milk.|
|Shatavari liquid extract||30-60 drops||1-2 times per day||Mix with water or juice.|
Nutritional value Shatawari:
|Nutrient||Amount per 100 grams||Daily Requirement|
|Carbohydrates||4.4 g||130 g|
|Fiber||2.3 g||25 g|
|Protein||2.2 g||56 g|
|Fat||0.1 g||44-77 g|
|Vitamin C||5.0 mg||90 mg|
|Calcium||32 mg||1000-1300 mg|
|Iron||1.1 mg||8-18 mg|
|Potassium||98 mg||2000-3000 mg|
|Sodium||14 mg||1500-2300 mg|
Disclaimer: Please note that it is important to consult with a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herb for therapeutic purposes, as the benefits may vary depending on the individual’s health status and dosha imbalance.
Minimum order value Rs.100 only.
All shown prices are inclusive of GST.
Free shipping on orders above Rs.1000.
Flat Rs. 99 Shipping Charges on orders below Rs.500 and Rs 49 order between Rs.501-999.
Actual product images used, product and image color may slightly differ.
Secure Payment by Razorpay and Paytm. Learn more about secure payments.
7 Day Returns is applicable in case the item is damaged, defective or different from description. Check our Return Policy