Tukmaria, also known as basil seeds, Sabja seeds, or sweet basil seeds, are small, black, oval-shaped seeds that come from the sweet basil plant (Ocimum basilicum). They are native to India and are commonly used in Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine.
उदग्रैः सकलैर्वन्यैर्मधुरैश्च मधुस्फिकैः ।
तुक्मलञ्जशरावृतो विजृम्भतु शिरो व्रणम् ॥
This verse describes the medicinal properties of Tukmaria and its use in healing wounds. It roughly translates to:
“Covered with the juice of sweet, fragrant herbs and surrounded by flowering plants, the seed of Tukmalanja (Tukmaria) emerges as a powerful healer, able to remove even the most stubborn of wounds.”
Tukmaria is rich in fiber, antioxidants, and essential minerals such as iron and magnesium. They have a cooling effect on the body and are commonly used in Ayurveda to treat conditions related to excess heat, such as acidity, inflammation, and skin disorders.
Tukmaria, also known as basil seeds or Sabja seeds, has several different vernacular names:
- Hindi: Tukmaria, Sabja, Falooda seeds
- Tamil: Sabja Vithai
- Telugu: Sabja Ginjalu
- Kannada: Sabja Beeja
- Malayalam: Sabja, Sabja Vithu
- Bengali: Sabja, Tukh Malanga
- Gujarati: Sabja, Tukh Malanga
- Marathi: Sabja, Sabja Tishi, Tukhamaria
- Punjabi: Tukh Malanga
- Urdu: Tukh Malanga
Some of the potential health benefits of Tukmaria include:
- Digestive health: Tukmaria is high in fiber, which helps to promote healthy digestion and relieve constipation. It is also believed to have carminative properties that can help to relieve gas and bloating.
- Blood sugar control: Tukmaria has a low glycemic index and is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which may help to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Skin health: Tukmaria is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, which can help to reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body, and promote healthy skin.
- Weight management: Tukmaria’s high fiber content can help to promote satiety and reduce hunger, making it an excellent addition to weight loss diets.
- Respiratory health: Tukmaria has expectorant properties, which can help to loosen mucus and reduce coughing, making it a useful remedy for respiratory conditions like colds and bronchitis.
- Stress relief: Tukmaria is believed to have adaptogenic properties, which means it can help the body cope with stress and reduce the negative effects of stress on the body.
- Bone health: Tukmaria is a good source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining healthy bones and preventing osteoporosis.
- Cardiovascular health: Tukmaria is rich in alpha-linolenic acid, which may help to reduce inflammation in the body and improve cardiovascular health.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Tukmaria contains eugenol, which is a natural anti-inflammatory compound that can help to reduce inflammation in the body and relieve pain.
Tukmaria can be consumed in a variety of ways, such as soaking the seeds in water, adding them to smoothies, or using them as a garnish for desserts or drinks. However, it is important to note that more research is needed to fully understand the potential health benefits and risks of Tukmaria. As with any supplement or herbal remedy, it is important to talk to your doctor before using Tukmaria to ensure that it is safe for you.